The National Association of Civil-Law Notaries was founded in 1998 by a group of lawyers who saw the need for stronger legal security and dispute prevention in legal transactions. NACLN’s efforts led to the adoption and improvement of state civil-law notary statutes, and have advanced the development of civil-law notary practice in the United States. Our organization aims to provide the highest level of professional development and advocacy for civil-law notaries in the United States, including training, examination, continuing legal education, and practice news. We realize our mission through a multi-step approach:
• We provide the highest quality of notarial training to candidate civil-law notaries, all of whom must by law be lawyers authorized to practice law.
• We strive to promote professionalism in notarial practice by providing civil-law notaries with continuing legal education courses and other special events.
• We seek to foster a greater understanding of civil-law notarial practice and the value of civil-law notarial services by sharing with the legal community the inherent differences between a civil-law notary and a common-law notary public and the benefits that come with civil-law notarial training and practice.
• We encourage collegiality among civil-law notaries in the U.S. by promoting close cooperation among the states, by consulting with Departments of State regarding the adoption of civil-law notary legislation and rules, by providing networking opportunities for civil-law notaries, and by maintaining digital information sources for the benefit of practicing civil-law notaries.
• NACLN also seeks to foster strong relationships between U.S. and non-U.S. civil-law notaries through participation in activities of the International Union of Notaries (UIN) as a permanent observer, and through outreach to and cooperation with non-U.S. notaries and notarial organizations.
Please do not hesitate to share with us any questions and/or comments that you may have regarding NACLN.
The Board and Trustees
P.O. Box 3269
Tallahassee, FL 32315-3269